Thursday 31 May 2012

its all in the numbers

its funny, before life with diabetes i didn't think that numbers could have such an impact on my everyday life. since then however numbers rule everything i do and are often all i think about.... 
  • the numbers on my meter tell me if I'm too high or low to do something like driving or exercising (have to be over 5mmols to drive and under 14mmols to exercise) 
  • the numbers on food packets tell me how many carbs are in the food that I'm eating (although they never tell you straight away so you have to figure it out, and if the packets don't tell you then you have to guess or remember from last time how much is in the food) 
  • my insulin to carb ratio then tells me how much insulin i need to take to cover the food I'm about to eat (yeah that needs to be calculated too) 
    • on top of figuring out how much i need to cover food, i need to add on or knock off units (measure of insulin) depending on whether my sugar levels are high or low and whether I've got insulin in my system already (insulin on board)
  • then there's the hba1c which is my average glucose levels over the last 3 months, on top of that theres cholesterol levels and other tests which all need to stay within different ranges to keep the consultant happy and me healthy
i must admit, I'm glad that i don't mind numbers and can do the calculations cos my life would be a lot harder if i couldn't..... but as you can see, as a diabetic numbers do rule your life and your always second guessing what is going to happen so that those numbers have as little impact as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment