Thursday 16 August 2012

thats what friends are for :)

so today was my a-level results day.... that can only mean one thing..... celebrating. with lots of alcohol....

now, I've said before that alcohol and diabetes really don't mix, it sends sugar levels all wonky and can lead to some really dangerous lows.

going out drinking is a huge worry for me. i test like mad and never drink too much so that i know what I'm doing diabetes wise. but with uni and freshers week coming up (yeah, i passed all my exams!!) i want to be able to enjoy myself and be like any other student. I'm not going to let diabetes ruin it.

i have been so lucky so far friends wise. all of my friends know that I'm diabetic and always keep an eye on me when we are out even if i haven't asked them to. i mean, that's amazing. i actually cant describe how it feels to know people are around me who are aware of diabetes. they know that i might go high or low and can tell someone (providing they aren't too drunk...)

so tonight I'm going out and i am looking forward to it. but do you know what made my night even better? it was one of my friends, who isn't even coming with us but still thought to remind me to keep an eye on my levels and to be careful. i mean, that is simply the best feeling ever that someone thinks about the effects of diabetes on my evening but doesn't even live with it himself. it made me smile, it made me realise just how amazing he is, and it made me see just how much of an effect diabetes has on people around me even if i try not to let it.

so thanks. thanks to the people that have watched out for me, listened and tried to understand the mess that is diabetes. i can only hope that i can find equally amazing people at uni when i get there.

2 comments:

  1. Huge congratulations on the A-Level results, Tara! So happy for you and the other girls on Rant Room! Enjoy your night, you deserve it! But like your friends have already said, keep an eye on those levels ;-)
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete