Monday 24 September 2012

Telling

so the first day of uni is over.... so far i am actually loving every minute of it :)

only thing that ive had a slight issue with is telling people about diabetes. ive never had a problem with that before, maybe its because its a whole new situation and i dont know anyone well enough to feel comfortable telling people about it.

i must admit though, ive loved it being secret so far, ive enjoyed having fun with everyone and not having people asking about levels or insulin. its been nice not being judged for a condition i didnt choose to get. its been great just getting to be a care free student like everyone else.

people have been finding out slowly, first it was them asking about why ive got a fridge, then it was what my insulin pen was, then about my anklet (medical id) and so far nobody seems bothered.... although, im not sure anyone really even knows what diabetes really is (i got asked if insulin was for allergies today) and what effect it can have on my life...

people not knowing has been a problem though, its made me more reluctant to test when out, its made me more secretive about insulin injections (doesnt help that one of the people has a big fear of needles) so ive gone from testing about 10 times a day to only testing 5.... its not awful, but its not great either.... also, ive been really bad at taking my test kit and sugar with me. an especially bad idea considering ive been out drinking and been in 1-2hr long talks....

so i guess its down to me now, ive just gotta sort it like always and make sure my health doesnt suffer as a result...

No comments:

Post a Comment