Wednesday 28 November 2012

D-kid sibling day

across blogs today people are dedicating posts to the siblings of diabetics. i know im not a d-kid being 18 now, but they are still my siblings and they still deal with it when im home from uni.... so here it goes...

the siblings tend to be the forgotten victims of diabetes. i mean, how hard must it be to have to live with a disease that you don't even have?

so today i am dedicating my post to 2 of my siblings who have put up with a lot of rubbish that diabetes throws my way. they don't complain and they have had responsibility put on their shoulders for a disease that isn't even theirs.

firstly Tabby, shes 13 and is one of my biggest supports. she sits and listens when i explain about diabetes to her, trying to absorb and remember any vital information that might be important one day. she advocates when people say something wrong about diabetes. i know that shes told her teacher that they were wrong about diabetes on at least one occasion. shes told me that when we go out somewhere together she is constantly thinking about what she would do if something happens to me, shes mentioned that she worries about the possibility of getting diabetes one day herself and has even said that she would have my diabetes for me if she could. she gets me lucozade or food when I'm low and puts up with a lot of rubbish when I'm high and irritable. but shes so much more. shes my cheerer upper when things aren't so great, her singing and dancing around the house can never fail to make me smile. shes the bank drainer who always gets what she wants when i see her. shes the cinema buddy who comes and watches the kids films when they come out and shes the singing companion so i don't look like such an idiot with the music blaring and me singing loudly while i zoom down the dual carriage way. shes amazing at drama and dance and is almost always out with friends (she has more of a social life than me sometimes)

then theres Fiona, shes 5 and acts so grown up sometimes it makes me sad. she was 3 when i was diagnosed and since the start she has absorbed so much information about diabetes that i really wish she didn't need to know. shes learnt how to test my levels and what my insulin is (or prickly medicine as she calls it) she gives me hugs when I'm upset and she never fails to get me either insulin or food if i need it. she knows to tell someone if i collapse and she has learnt how to call 999. she tells me all about my medical id and can read all the words on the back of it. she tells me that needles don't hurt and never forgets to mention how brave she was when she had her flu jab. on top of that she knows about how she has asthma and how to use her inhaler. she knows that she needs to have it when she coughs lots and if her chest feels funny. in short, shes a doctor in the making.... but theres more to her than the medical knowledge. she is the one that can talk for England and switches topics so fast that you get lost in her conversation. she is the one that knows the words from films off by heart because she watches them that often. she wants everything that the adverts on TV show just like any other 5yr old. she starts just about every sentence to me with "Tara, did you know...." and she loves school. shes a drama queen and so confident that we reckon that one day she will end up on stage.

i love my siblings. diabetes plays a big part in their lives but they don't care, they just get on with it and treat me just the same. i have always said that if me having diabetes saved them from having it too then i would never get rid of it or complain. but it doesn't work that way. if one day they get it too then we will deal with it but for now they are simply amazing for dealing with me and my d.

No comments:

Post a Comment