Wednesday 6 June 2012

diabetes technology, you either love it or you hate it

a few weeks back i got the new freestyle insulinx meter to help with calculating my insulin doses so i had one less thing to think about at meal times..... i was really impressed with it when i first got it but now I'm not so sure.

dont get me wrong, its an excellent meter and i love that its really modern with its touch screen, it even has backlight and light near the test strip which has come in useful with night testing however, like every piece of electronic equipment it has its drawbacks....

today i went to calculate the amount of insulin i needed for my snack, i tested (9.1mmols) and then i input the amount of carbs i was eating (23g) and it calculated my dose.... now, for 23g of carbs that's 2u of insulin, for that sugar level i add 1u to bring me back into my range so that's a total of 3u, does that make sense? 
however, my meter was telling me to give 2u? for some reason my meter has decided that I've got active insulin in my system and need to knock off a unit to compensate. i would normally agree, although i DIDN'T HAVE ANY ACTIVE INSULIN!! so after this and several other incidents similar to this I'm going to go back to my bog standard meter which doesn't calculate insulin for me, i trust it and it works for me....

anyway, back to the point, i think with all of these new diabetes products designed to make our lives easier we have to be a little cautious, especially when they are very new and haven't been out long.... one day we will all have amazingly high tech products sorting out insulin and checking our levels without any input from us but for now i think ill do it myself, at least then i know that the amount i inject has been sorted and that any miscalculations are my own doing rather than down to a machine

2 comments:

  1. my pump often suggests doses that are wrong. i've decided, after your pancreas the next best thing to decide your dose is your own brain, then a computer/fancy meter/pump etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i always check and do the maths anyway.... but its still useful having something take away some of the pressure :)

      Delete