Wednesday 13 June 2012

diabetes week day 3 - add it up


I've had diabetes for 1year, 9months and 5days....
it doesn't seem too long but that's:
  • 643 days
  • 15432 hours
  • 925920 minutes
i know i haven't had it the longest but that is still a long amount of time to be dealing with a chronic illness 24/7

in this time:
6430 - the number of times I've stabbed my fingers to test sugar levels
730 - the amount of tablets i took within my first year of diabetes
1112 - how many times I've injected since Sept 2011 (when i was put on insulin)
10 - the amount of times I've sat shaking with nerves waiting to see my consultant
15 - how many times they have taken bottles of blood from my arm
300 - that's how many glucose tablets I've eaten and
20 - the bottles of lucozade drunk to make my sugar come back up to normal range
32.4 - the highest my sugar level has ever been, that's 6x what it should be
1.2 - the lowest my levels have dropped, this almost caused me to go unconscious (that's a fifth of what it should be)


diabetes is a full time job, it demands attention 24/7 every single day. it doesn't give you a break, it doesn't leave you alone when you go to college or work, it doesn't give you a day off for Christmas or birthdays, it doesn't just let you have one decent nights sleep. it is here for life, people don't realise how serious diabetes can be and how much you have to do to keep it under control. 

diabetes isn't just testing and injecting or taking tablets, its counting carbohydrates, its balancing insulin and exercise, its figuring out why you are feeling sick or dizzy, its countless doctors appointments and prescriptions, its taking things one day at a time because things that work one day wont work the next.

1 comment:

  1. So agree with all you've said & like you not had diabetes for that long (diagnosed November 2010), still learning & from what have read never will that end, but do intend on living a full life the best can with it.

    ReplyDelete